- Cuisine: American
Wonderful change from normal white loaf. Great at Thanksgiving or Christmas This recipe serves
- 2 pkg active dry yeast Leavening agents, yeast, baker's, active dry
- 1/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 1 12 oz pkg frozen cooked squash, thawed (1 1/4 c) Squash, summer, zucchini, includes skin, raw
- 1 cup milk Milk, reduced fat, fluid, 2% milkfat, with added vitamin A
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar Sugars, brown
- 1/3 cup butter/margarine softened
- 1 large egg slightly beaten Egg, whole, raw, fresh
- 1 1/2 tsp salt Salt, table
- 5 1/2-6 cups all purpose flour Wheat flour, white, all-purpose, enriched, unbleached
Dissolve yeast in warm water in a small bowl; let stand until bubbly, about ten mins. Combine squash,milk, sugar,butter,egg, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in yeast mixture. Mix in enough flour to make dough easy to handle. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about ten mins. Place in a buttered bowl; turn buttered side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size, about 1 hour. (Dough is ready if impression remains)
Butter 2 loaf pans, 9x5x3" Punch down dough; divide dough into 6 parts. Shape each part into a roll 14": long. Place 3 of the rolls side by side. Beginning at the middle braid to ends; tuck under to form smooth ends. Repeat with the other three rolls. Place braids in prepared pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hr.
Heat oven to 375F Bake until golden, 30-35 mins Remove from pans; cool on wire rack.