Yellow Split Pea Soup2015-03-09
- Cuisine: American
This recipe serves 8
- 2 cups (1lb) dried yellow split peas
- 3 lbs smoked ham hocks or Ham bone
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions Onions, raw
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery Celery, raw
- 1 Tbs salt (taste before adding all this)
- 2 quarts water Water, municipal
- THE FOLLOWING ARE MY ADDITIONS
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped Garlic, raw
- 2 large carrots, chopped Carrots, raw
- 3 large bay leaves Spices, bay leaf, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme Spices, thyme, ground
- 1/2 tsp ground savory Spices, savory, ground
- 1/2 Tbs dry mustard Spices, mustard dry
- 1 Tbs brown sugar Sugars, brown
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce Sauce, Worcestershire
- 2 Tbs ketchup Catsup
Wash dried peas in a sieve under cold running water, discarding any discoloured ones. Place the peas in a heavy saucepan or stove top casserole and ham hocks/bone onions, celery, salt (some of it) and water. Bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer for about 1 hour. Remove cover and continue to simmer for about 20 mins. longer or til ham shows no resistance when pierced deeply with point of small knife.
Transfer ham to a chopping board , remove meat from bone, discarding fat and skin. Cut into 1/2" cubes.
Return ham cubes to soup and simmer 2-3 mins to heat through. Taste for seasoning and ladle into heated tureen or bowls.