Vodka-Spiked Cherry Tomatoes With Pepper Salt2013-06-20
- 48 oz firm small red and yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp superfine granulated sugar
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 3 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
Cut a small X in skin of blossom end of each tomato. Blanch tomatoes 5 at a time, in a saucepan of boiling water 3 seconds and immediately transfer them with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking.
Drain and peel, transferring to a large shallow dish.
In a small bowl, stir together vodka, vinegar, sugar and zest until sugar is dissolved, then pour over tomatoes, gently tossing to coat. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to one hour.
Stir together salt and pepper and serve the tomatoes for dipping