Tomato & Orange Soup2015-03-15
- Cuisine: American
This recipe serves 6
- 28 oz can tomatoes Tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, year round average
- 2 Tbs shallots, finely chopped Shallots, raw
- 5 cups chicken broth Soup, chicken broth, canned, prepared with equal volume water, commercial
- 3 lbs fresh tomatoes, Blanched,Peeled & Seeded Tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, year round average
- 4 Tbs tomato puree/paste
- 2 cloves garlic Garlic, raw
- 1 strip lemon peel
- 4 Peppercorns Spices, pepper, black
- 2 Bay leaves Spices, bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 tsp thyme Spices, thyme, ground
- 4 oranges, grated rind and juice
- Whipped Cream Cream, whipped, cream topping, pressurized
- Chives, chopped Chives, raw
Puree canned tomatoes and remove seeds.
Saute onions in a little oil til tender, NOT brown
In a large pan, place chicken stock, canned tomatoes,onions & seeded fresh tomatoes. Add tomato puree and stir well.
Tie the garlic, lemon rind,peppercorns,bay leaves & thyme in a piece of cheesecloth and add to soup.
Carefully remove the orange rind with a peeler. Cut into strips and blanch in boiling water for 2 mins. Drain. Squeeze the oranges and add strained juice to soup.
Stir well. Remove the cheesecloth bag. Blend until fine chunky look. Do not over blend. Add orange rind. Season to to taste. Serve in bowls with a dab of whipped cream and chopped chives