- Cuisine: American
This recipe serves 8
- 1 Tbs unsalted butter Butter, without salt
- 1 Tbs safflower oil Oil, vegetable safflower, salad or cooking, linoleic, over 70% (a minor oil of commerce)
- 3 onion, chopped Onions, raw
- 1 1/2 lbs zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces Squash, summer, zucchini, includes skin, raw
- 2 carrots, scraped and slice thinly
- 6 cups chicken stock Soup, chicken broth, canned, prepared with equal volume water, commercial
- 1 1/2 Tbs fresh tarragon, finely chopped plus several tarragon stems tied in a bundle
- 1 cup low fat milk Milk, reduced fat, fluid, 2% milkfat, with added vitamin A
- 1/2 tsp salt Salt, table
- freshly ground pepper Spices, pepper, black
- pinch cayenne pepper
Melt butter with the oil in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook them, stirring often, until they are golden 15-20 mins.
Add zucchini, carrots, chicken stock and tarragon stems and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 15 mins. Remove lid, increase the heat and boil soup, skimming off any impurities that rise to the surface.
Continue to cook stirring occasionally until soup is reducedabout 1/3 (about 20 mins)
Remove from heat and discard the tarragon stems. Pour into a large bowl. Puree about 2/3 of soup in blender/food processor.
Return puree to pot, then briefly process remaining 1/3 to a rough puree and add to pot. Stir in milk and seasonings to taste.
Heat gently without letting it boil. Stir in chopped tarragon.
Serve warmed or chilled