My Marinated Tomato Salad2015-02-22
- Cuisine: American
This recipe serves 10
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped Onions, green, spring or scallions (includes tops and bulb), raw
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Garlic, raw
- 1/4 cup red wine or balsamic or combination of each vinegar
- 1 tsp season salt Salt, seasoned
- 1/4 cup lemon juice Lemon juice, raw
- freshly ground pepper Spices, pepper, black
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped Spices, basil, ground
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped Spices, thyme, ground
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped Spices, oregano, ground
- 1 cup olive oil Oil, olive, salad or cooking
- 3 lbs ripe tomatoes -Beefsteak are best but others work, sliced 1/2" thick
- 8 oz provolone or mozzarella
- 2 tsp sugar Sugars, granulated
In a bowl or jar, combine green onion, garlic,vinegar, and salt. let stand for 5 mins. Add lemon juice and season with pepper.
In a small bowl mix herbs and then take out 1/3 of mixture adding it to oil mix. Let stand about 15 minutes then strain out herbs.
Spoon 1/4 of vinaigrette on platter with sides. Arrange 1/2 tomato slices overlapping slices and season with salt sugar and pepper.
Using a vegetable peeler, shave half of cheese over the tomatoes. Top with 1/2 of the remaining vinaigrette, 1/2 remaining herbs then last of the tomatoes and cheese.
Finish off with remaining vinaigrette, herbs and seasonings
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 2 hours prior to serving. OR let it stand at room temperature.