Melon with Port and Mint2015-03-15
- Cuisine: American
Light and easy, Can also be used as an appetizer This recipe serves 10
- 1/3 cup water Water, municipal
- 4 Tbs minced fresh mint Peppermint, fresh
- 3 Tbs sugar Sugars, granulated
- 1/3 cup tawny or ruby Port
- 3 melons ( honeydew,cantalope,crenshaw or casaba), peeled, seeded and sliced
- fresh mint sprigs Peppermint, fresh
Combine 1/3 cup water,2 tbsps minced mint and sugar in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to simmer. Remove from heat. Cover; let syrup stand at temperature at least two hours or overnight.
Strain syrup into small bowl. Stir in Port and 2 tbsp minced fresh mint. Arrange melon slices on platter. Pour syrup over. Cover and chill two hours. Garnish with mint sprigs.