Many Fruited Mustard2015-03-08
- Cuisine: American
This will keep indefinately in the refrigerator This recipe serves
- 1/2 cup dry mustard Spices, mustard dry
- 1/4 cup cold water Water, municipal
- 1 1/2 Tbs orange zest Orange peel, raw
- 2 Tbs dried apricots, packed and diced Apricots, dried, sulfured, uncooked
- 2 Tbs dried peaches, packed and diced Peaches, raw
- 2 Tbs dried white figs, packed and diced
- 2 Tbs candied cherries, packed and diced
- 1/2 cup white cider or rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar Sugars, granulated
- 1/4 tsp salt Salt, table
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice, strained
Stir mustard and cold water together in bowl until no lumps remain. Let stand for at least and hour, better 3-4 hours. Simmer zest in 1 cup of water for 5 mins. Drain, shred and chop very fine. Reserve zest. If dried fruit is not tender, cover the pieces with boiling water and let them stand for 5 mins then drain. Combine drained zest, vinegar and sugar in pan and boil uncovered over med heat for 5 mins until syrup has thickened slightly. Stir in salt, then the fruit and mustard mixtures. Stir mixture until is thickens smoothly. Remove from heat.
When mustard has cooled, taste it and add lemon juice to taste. Scrape mustard into clean, dry jar and store covered in the refrigerator. If it thickens too much on standing thin it with more lemon juice.