Kartoffelsuppe ( Bavarian Potato Soup)2014-12-07
- Cuisine: American
A traditional Bavarian soup. This one version of the potato soup from Party Cookbook by Southern Living 1972 This recipe serves 8
- 1/2 cup butter, I brown and crisp some bacon and add it as part of the1/2cup
- 1 carrot, diced Carrots, raw
- 1 leek, diced Leeks, (bulb and lower leaf-portion), raw
- 4 medium onions, diced Onions, raw
- 1/2 cup celery, diced Celery, raw
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Garlic, raw
- 2 bay leaves Spices, bay leaf, crumbled
- 3 quarts chicken broth Soup, chicken broth, canned, prepared with equal volume water, commercial
- 4 cups diced potatoes Potatoes, raw, flesh and skin
- salt and white pepper
- dash nutmeg
- Bouquet garni
- 1 cup light cream Cream, fluid, light (coffee cream or table cream)
Melt butter in heavy soup kettle; add carrot, leek, onions, celery and garlic. Saute about 5 mins; do not allow vegetables brown.
Add bay leaves and chicken broth; simmer10-15 mins partially covered. Add potatoes,salt,pepper,nutmeg, and bouquet garni.
Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender. Just before serving remove bouquet garni and stir in the cream.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe
posted by Christine on January 31, 2017
Thank you! I’m pretty sure this is the soup my father made when I was a child. We made it last night and it was wonderful.