Horse and Hound Leek, corn and Stilton Chowder2015-03-05
- Cuisine: American
This recipe serves 4
- 1 large leek, julienned and washed well Leeks, (bulb and lower leaf-portion), raw
- 2 cups corn kernels Corn, sweet, yellow, frozen, kernels, cut off cob, boiled, drained, with salt
- 4 oz Stilton cheese
- 1 cup 10% cream Cream, fluid, heavy whipping
- 1/2 cup chicken stock Soup, chicken broth, canned, prepared with equal volume water, commercial
- 3 oz white wine Alcoholic beverage, wine, table, white
- 1/2 cup flour Wheat flour, white, all-purpose, enriched, unbleached
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil Vegetable oil, canola
- 1/2 tsp salt Salt, table
- 1/2 tsp pepper Spices, pepper, black
- 2 tsp sour cream Cream, sour, cultured
- chopped chives Chives, raw
In a heavy bottom pot, saute leeks until soft and just staring to colour, add salt and pepper (10 mins).
Reduce heat and add flour, stirring constantly for one minute. Keep on low heat about 5 mins. Add corn,white wine and stock. Whisk well until mixture thickens.
Simmer on low heat about 30 mins. Crumble cheese into soup, whisk well, continue on low heat ubtil cheese is melted (5 mins) Add cream to desired thickness.
Garnish each dish with 1/2 tsp sour crean and chives. (To prevent burning only simmer a few minutes after cheese has been added)
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe
posted by Helen Whyte on July 20, 2019
My daughter made this for me for Mother’s day knowing I love Stilton cheese!
I nearly was floored when she served it to me. I worked at the Horse and Hound for 6 years! It was perfect and taste brought me right back to those happy days!
Of all the soups! Perfect and delicious!