H.A.’s White Chili2015-03-11
- Cuisine: American
This was created for a Trail party in Canada. I served two Chilis one red and one white. It was the first time I had made a white chili but it was very good. This recipe serves 10
- 8 large chicken breasts or mix of dark and light boneless chicken
- 1 medium onion, peeled &quartered
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced Garlic, raw
- water to cover
- 1 1/4 cups roughly chopped onions Onions, raw
- 2 Tbs butter/margarine / oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped Garlic, raw
- 1/2 cup chopped celery Celery, raw
- 4 16 oz cans great northern beans or cannellini beans, drained and 1 can is mashed
- 3 4.5 oz cans chopped green chilles
- 1 14 oz can chicken broth, may be more Soup, chicken broth, canned, prepared with equal volume water, commercial
- 1 Tbs cumin Spices, cumin seed
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves Spices, cloves, ground
- 1 tsp chili powder Spices, chili powder
- 2 tsp oregano Spices, oregano, ground
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard Spices, mustard dry
- 1 cup half and half, or as needed
- 1/2 tsp cayenne or to taste.
- lime juice Lime juice, raw
- cilantro Cilantro (Chinese parsley), raw
Place chicken ,1/2 cup of onions in enough water to cover. Poach until tender in a covered pan about 15 minutes. Remove and then reduce liquid to 1/2. Cut into bite-size pieces and set aside.
Melt butter in skillet. Add garlic, remaining onions and celery. Saute til tender but not brown.
In a large Dutch oven , stir in the chicken, reduced poaching liquid,celery mixture, beans ,remaining ingredients up to but not the half and half. Simmer for about 1 hour stirring often and adding more chicken broth if needed
Add half and half to create a good chili consistency. Taste, adjust seasonings and add cayenne to taste.
Just before serving add lime juice again to taste . Top with chopped cilantro if you like it