Grilled Panzanella Salad2015-02-25
- Cuisine: American
This recipe serves 4
- 1 large tomato, diced Tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, year round average
- 1 cup cucumber, seeded, diced Cucumber, peeled, raw
- 3/4 cup fontina cheese, cubed Cheese, fontina
- 1/2 cup kalamata olive, pitted,halved Olives, kalamata
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil Spices, basil, ground
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, rough chopped leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice Lemon juice, raw
- 2 Tbs red wine vinegar Vinegar, red wine
- 1 tsp sugar Sugars, granulated
- salt and pepper to taste Peppers, sweet, red, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
- 3 Tbs olive oil Oil, olive, salad or cooking
- 5 slices 1' thick day-old crusty bread
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered Peppers, sweet, red, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
- 1/2 red onion "lollipopped" see below
- salt to taste Salt, table
- 1 clove garlic, halved Garlic, raw
Preheat grill to med high.
Toss tomato, cucumber,cheese,olives,and herbs together in a bowl; cover and chill.
Whisk lemon juice, vinegar, sugar,salt, & peppertogether in asmall bowl. Drizzle in oil, whisking to blend.
Rub bread, bell pepper and onion with oil using your hands; season with salt.
Grill bell pepper and onion, putting the onions on 5 mins before the peppers covered, 3-5 mins; turn vegetables over. Add bread and grill until toasted 1-2 mins. Turn bread and on second side until toasted 1-2 minsRemove everything from grill.
Rubboth sides of bread with 1/2 a garlic, tear into pieces, and add to the vegetable-herb mixture. Chop the peppers and onion and add to the salad.
Drizzle with dressing,(you may not use it all) and toss to coat Serve IMMEDIATELY
Onion lollipops: First to push two skewers through the onion, spacing them about 1/2 " apart. Then cut between the skewers to form instant lolloppop. Make sure you soak the skewers for 25 mins in water before using