Creamy Swiss Onion Soup2014-12-28
- Cuisine: American
This recipe serves 4
- 1/4 cup butter Butter, without salt
- 3 cups quartered,thinly sliced onions Onions, raw
- 5 1/2 cups water Water, municipal
- 4 1/2 tsp chicken broth mix
- 1/4 cup flour Wheat flour, white, all-purpose, enriched, unbleached
- 1 3/4 cups milk Milk, reduced fat, fluid, 2% milkfat, with added vitamin A
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss or cheddar cheese, divided
- salt and pepper to taste Peppers, sweet, red, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
- Buttered Croutons
- 1 1/2 cups bread cubes Bread crumbs, dry, grated, plain
- 3 Tbs melted butter Butter, without salt
Melt butter in large saucepan and saute onions over medium heat about 10 mins. Stir in water and broth mix. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer 15 mins.
Smoothly combine flour and milk. Add to saucepan and stir. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat.
Add half of the cheese and stir until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle into oven proof soup bowls, sprinkle with buttered croutons; then top with remaining cheese and broil until cheese melted
Croutons: Toss bread cubes in melted butter. Bake in 350 oven for 5-7 mins, turn over and continue for another 5-7 mins longer.