- Cuisine: American
A lighter version of the German version This recipe serves
- 1 package dry yeast Leavening agents, yeast, baker's, active dry
- 1/4 c` water
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 1/2 cup butter Butter, without salt
- 1/4 cup sugar Sugars, granulated
- 1 tsp salt Salt, table
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamon
- 4 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour Wheat flour, white, all-purpose, enriched, unbleached
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten Egg, whole, raw, fresh
- 1 cup seedless raisins Raisins, seedless
- 1/4 cup currrants
- 1/4 cup mixed candied fruit
- 2 Tbs grated orange peel Orange peel, raw
- 1 Tbs grated lemon peel Lemon peel, raw
- 1/2 cup red and green candied cherries, halved
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds, chopped Nuts, almonds, dry roasted, without salt added
- GLAZE frosting
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbs milk Milk, reduced fat, fluid, 2% milkfat, with added vitamin A
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond flavouring
Soften yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Combine milk, butter sugar, salt and cardamon. Cool to lukewarm.
Stir in 2 cups flour and beat well. Add yeast and eggs beat well. Stir in fruits, peels and nuts Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface.
Knead til smooth and elastic, about 8 mins. Place in a greased bowl and turn to coat. Cover, let rise til double in size about two hours depending on the temperature in the house.
Punch down, turn out on floured surface. Divide into 3 parts. Cover, let rest 10 mins. Roll each into 10x6 rectangle.
Without stretching, fold in half lengthwiseto 1" from edge and seal.
Cover and let double in bulk about 1 hour. For glaze, mix all ingredients until smooth
Bake at 375 for 15-20 mins. While warm brush or drizzle with glaze