Chocolate-Espresso Kahlua Tart2015-03-04
- Cuisine: American
Makes one 11-inch tart This recipe serves
- For the crust Pie crust, standard-type, frozen, ready-to-bake, baked
- 2 cups Hazelnuts (9 ounces) Nuts, hazelnuts or filberts
- 1 1/3 cups finely ground chocolate wafers (about 22)
- 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1/4 tsp salt Salt, table
- 10 Tbs unsalted butter melted & cooled Butter, without salt
- For the mousse
- 1/2 cup Kahlua (coffee flavored liqueur)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder Cocoa, dry powder, unsweetened
- 2 lg eggs, separated
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- pinch of salt Salt, table
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 tbs unsalted butter Butter, without salt
- 1 cup heavy cream Cream, fluid, heavy whipping
- 6 Tbs sugar Sugars, granulated
Make crust. Preheat oven to 375 deg. Spread hazelnuts in a single layer on a rimmed backing sheet; toast until skins split and flesh turns deep golden brown, tossing halfway through, 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven. Reduce oven to 325 deg. While still warm rub nuts in clean kitchen towel to remove skins. Let cool completely then finely chop in food processor. (Note: Some stores carry chopped hazelnuts. You can then just lightly toast them instead)
Stir together ground nuts, cookie crumbs, espresso powder, salt and butter. Press into bottom and up sides of an 11-inch round tart pan with removable bottom and up sides of an 11 inch round tart pan with removable bottom. Chill 30 minutes.
Place tart pan on a baking sheet; bake until firm to the touch, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make Mousse: In a bowl, whisk together Kahlua, cocoa, egg yolks, espresso powder, and salt. Melt chocolate and butter in heat proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk in liqueur mixture. Cook, whisking until mixture is thickened and registers 160 deg on an instant read thermometer. Let cool completely.
With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream just to stiff peaks. Whisk egg whites and sugar in the heat proof bow of an electric mixer set over a pan of simmering water. Cook, whisking until sugar is dissolved and meringue registers 160 deg.
Attach bowl with meringue to mixer. Whisk on medium speed until soft peaks form. Raise the speed to high and beat until the peaks are stiff and glossy but not dry and meringue is completely cool. Using a flexible spatula, gently but thoroughly fold chocolate mixture into meringue, then fold in whipped cream. Spread evenly in cooled tart shell. Chill until set, at least1 hour or up to overnight.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe