Chicken Sausage Jambalaya2014-11-18
Many Cajun and Creole dishes are seasoned with the so-called holy trinity–bell pepper, onion, and celery. This Creole-style jambalaya has lots of tomato in it.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 pound andouille or other spicy smoked sausage, sliced
* 1 large onion, diced
* 1 bell pepper, diced
* 3 celery ribs, chopped
* 4 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 bay leaves
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
* 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with juice
* 4 cups chicken broth
* 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
* 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
* 4 green onions, chopped
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon; set aside.
2. Add onion and next 7 ingredients to hot drippings in Dutch oven; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in reserved sausage, tomatoes, broth, and rice. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
3. Stir in shrimp; cover and cook 5 minutes or until done. Sprinkle each serving with green onions.
Julia Rutland, Coastal Living, MARCH 2011
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe