- Cuisine: American
This recipe serves
- 9 cups thinly sliced cooking onions Onions, raw
- 1/3 cup butter Butter, without salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 tsp. white sugar
- 3/4 cup dry sherry Alcoholic beverage, sherry
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar Vinegar, sherry
Cook onions in butter in a heavy- bottomed saucepan over very low heat until onions are soft, 15-20 minutes. Add sugar, and continue cooking for 10 minutes. Add sherry and vinegar, and cook, stirring frequently, until liquid is incorporated and onions are toffee-brown colour. DO NOT RUSH THE PROCESS. Use lots of time and patience.