Acorn Squash and Apple Soup2014-12-31
- Cuisine: American
A soup made to enjoy in the Fall Harverst Season This recipe serves 4
- 2 medium acorn squash ( about 2 lb), halved and seeded Squash, winter, acorn, raw
- 3 cups chicken stock Soup, chicken broth, canned, prepared with equal volume water, commercial
- 2 tart apple, cored,peeled,and chopped about 2 cups KELLOGG, KELLOGG'S LOW FAT POP TARTS, Frosted apple cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped onions Onions, raw
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice Apple juice, canned or bottled, unsweetened, with added ascorbic acid
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated Ginger root, raw
- 1/2 tsp salt (taste before adding)
- 1 Tbs lemon juice Lemon juice, raw
- White pepper Spices, pepper, white
- plain yogurt Yogurt, plain, low fat, 12 grams protein per 8 ounce
- chives or basil, fresh and snipped
Place squash cut side down on rack set over gently simmering water in saucepan. Cover and steam until tender, about ten minutes. Cool squash slightly. Scoop pulp out of shells.
Combine1/4 cup chicken stock, apples and onion in heavy medium saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 mins. Add squash pulp, remaining chicken stock, apple juice, ginger and salt. Cover and simmer until ingredients are very tender, approximately 20 mins.
Puree soup in batches in processor or blender. Strain through sieve into clean saucepan, pressing puree with back of spoon. Reheat soup gently. Add lemon juice Season with pepper and salt if necessary.
Ladle into bowls . Garnish with yogurt and chives
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe