Unusual French Onion Soup2015-01-29
- Cuisine: American
I found this recipe somewhere and found it an interesting combination of ingredients. This recipe serves 6
- 2 cans 10oz beef broth Soup, beef broth or bouillon canned, ready-to-serve
- 2 1/2 cups water Water, municipal
- 2 lbs onions Onions, raw
- 8 whole cloves Spices, cloves, whole
- 1 tsp whole mustard and coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp each rosemary and thyme
- 3 Tbs butter Butter, without salt
- 1/4 cup tawny port
- 6 thick slices crusty bread, toasted PEPPERIDGE FARM Crusty Italian Bread, Garlic
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 12 oz Emmental cheese, sliced
In large saucepan, combine broth and water. Peel 1 onion; pierce with cloves. Add to pan with mustard,coriander,rosemary and thyme.
Bring to simmer; cover and cook over medium-low heat for 30 mins. or until onion is very tender. Strain stock into a bowl, discarding onion and whole spices.
Thickly slice and then quarter remaining onions. In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat until frothy; cook onions, stirring often until lightly golden. Add stock and port; cook just until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
Place 6 ovenproof soup bowls on large baking sheet. Ladle in the soup to within 1/2" from top. Spread toasts with pesto; place in bowls with pesto side up. Cover toasts with cheese.
Bake in 350 oven for 12-15 mins or til cheese is bubbly and lightly browned around the edges.