Tabbouleh (arab States)2013-06-20
- Cuisine: American, Turkish and Middle Eastern
- Course: Appetizers and Snacks, Salad
- Skill Level: Easy
- Servings : 4
a salad that tastes great and travels well.
- 1/2 cup burghul (crushed wheat)
- 3 medium fresh ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 cup parsley (preferably flat leaf), finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs mint fresh finely chopped or 1 tblsp dried mint crumbled
- romaine lettuce leaves (optional)
Place the burghul in a bowl or pan and pour in enough cold water to cover it completely. Let it soak for about 10 mins, then drain in a sieve or colander lined with a double thickness of dampened cheesecloth. Wrap the burghul in the cheesecloth and squeeze it vigorously until completely dry.
Drop the burghul into a deep bowl, add the tomatoes, parsley, onions, lemon juice and salt and toss gently but thoroughly together with a fork.
Just before serving, stir in the olive oil and mint and taste for seasoning