Sweet Potato Souffle2014-12-02
- Cuisine: American
Savory and sweet, this souflle can be served as a side dish or dessert This recipe serves 6
- Cooking spray Cooking spray, vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided Sugars, granulated
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound, 12 ounces)
- 2 Tbs butter, softened Butter, without salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 ounce) Wheat flour, white, all-purpose, enriched, unbleached
- 1/2 cup half-and-half Cream, fluid, half and half
- 1 Tbs grated orange rind Orange juice, raw
- 1/3 cup fresh orange jiuce
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar Sugars, brown
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon Spices, cinnamon, ground
- 3/4 tsp salt Salt, table
- 2 large egg yolks, whole Egg, yolk, raw, fresh
- 5 large egg whites Egg, white, raw, fresh
Position oven rack to lowest setting, and remove the middle rack. Preheat over to 425 degrees.
Coat a 1 1/2-quart souffle dish with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Set aside.
Pierce potatoes with a fork; arrange on paper towels in microwave oven. Microwave at HIGH 10 minutes or until tender, rearranging potatoes after 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Peel potatoes. Combine potatoes and butter, and mash with a potato masher until smooth.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, potato mixture, half-and-half, and next 6 ingredients (through egg yolks) in a food processor; process until smooth. Transfer potato mixture to a large bowl.
Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; beat at high speed with a mixer until soft peaks form. Add remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (do not overbeat). Gently fold one-fourth of egg white mixture into potato mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture. Gently spoon mixture into prepared dish. Sharply tap dish 2 or 3 times on the counter to level. Place dish on a baking sheet; place baking sheet in a 425 degree oven. Immediately reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees (do not remove souffle from oven). Bake 1 hour or until souffle is puffy, golden, and set. Serve immediately.