Pureed Cauliflower Soup2015-02-21
- Cuisine: American
This recipe serves 8
- 1 Tbs unsalted butter Butter, without salt
- 3 onions, thinly sliced Onions, raw
- 2 tsp fresh thyme Spices, thyme, fresh
- 1 large cauliflower, cored and broken into florets
- 7 cloves garlic, thinly sliced Garlic, raw
- 6 cups chicken stock Soup, chicken broth, canned, prepared with equal volume water, commercial
- salt to taste Salt, table
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg Spices, nutmeg, ground
- freshly ground black pepper Spices, pepper, black
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese Cheese, ricotta, part skim milk
- 2 Tbs plain low-fat yogurt Yogurt, plain, low fat, 12 grams protein per 8 ounce
- 1/4 cup light cream Cream, fluid, light (coffee cream or table cream)
- 1 tsp turmeric Spices, turmeric, ground
Melt butter in heavy bottomed pot, over medium heat; then stir in the sliced onions and the thyme. Cover and cook onions stirring to frequently til soft but not browned --15 mins
Reserve 1 cup of the smallest florets,setting them aside for garnish. Stir remaining florets ans garlic into the onion mix. Cover pot and cook for 15 mins, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
Add stock, salt,nutmeg and some pepper, simmer covered for 20 mins.
While the cauliflower is cooking, put the cheese and yogurt in blender/processor and puree until smooth. Place in a bowl and stir in cream.
When cauliflower is soft, puree in blender/processor in small batches. Return to pot and keep warm over low heat. Whisk in the cheese yogurt mix
To prepare garnish: combine reserved cauliflower pieces in a small skillet with turmeric and enough water to cover. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook til tender (7 mins)
Gently placed several of the yellow floretson top of each serving.