Poached Pears with Citrus Sauce2015-02-14
- Cuisine: American
A light refreshing and healthy dessert This recipe serves 4
- 4 medium pears Pears, raw
- 1 Tbs lemon juice Lemon juice, raw
- 4 cups apple juice Apple juice, canned or bottled, unsweetened, with added ascorbic acid
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon Spices, cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg Spices, nutmeg, ground
- 1 whole clove Spices, cloves, whole
- CITRUS SAUCE
- 1 cup sugar Sugars, granulated
- 1/4 cup brown sugar Sugars, brown
- 1/4 tsp salt Salt, table
- 1/4 cup cornstarch Cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice Orange juice, raw
- 1/4 cup lemon juice Lemon juice, raw
- 3/4 cup Boiling water Water, municipal
- 1 Tbs butter Butter, without salt
- 1 teaspoon each orange and lemon zest
Pears: Peel pears and brush with lemon juice. Bring apple juice and spices to a boil in a large saucepan.
Place pears in the pan in an upright position and cover. Reduce heat and simmer12-15 mins or til tender.
To serve Spoon citrus sauce over pears in individual dishes and garnish with a mint sprig in the top of each pear.
Citrus Sauce: Mix sugar , brown sugar, salt, and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Stir in orange and lemon juice and water. Bring to a boil and boil for one minute, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and add butter and zest.