Lemon Cranberry Scones2015-01-31
- Cuisine: American
Creamy scones with a hint of lemon This recipe serves 8
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour Wheat flour, white, all-purpose, enriched, unbleached
- 1 Tbs baking powder Leavening agents, baking powder, double-acting, sodium aluminum sulfate
- 3 Tbs sugar Sugars, granulated
- 1/2 tsp table salt Salt, table
- 5 Tbs unsalted butter , chilled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces Butter, without salt
- 2/3 cup Craisins or dried cranberries Currants, zante, dried
- 1 lemon Lemons, raw, with peel
- 1 Tbs sugar Sugars, granulated
- 1 cup heavy cream Cream, fluid, heavy whipping
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees.
Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in large bowl or food processor fitted with steel blade. Whisk the ingredients together. If using a food processor, use 8 one second pulses.
Grate one tablespoon of lemon zest for the flour mixture. Remove the rest of the zest from the lemon and set aside.
Cut in the butter into the bowl until the mixture resembles a coarse meal using two knives or about 12 pulses with a food processor. Mix in the tablespoon of lemon zest and cranberries. If using a food processor remove the ingredients to a large bowl.
Using a fork stir in the heavy cream until the mixture begins to resemble a dough.
Remove the dough from the bowl onto a countertop and knead until it forms a ball (about 10 seconds). Press by hand or roll the dough out into a circle about 8-9 inches in diameter. Using a pastry cutter or knife cut the circle into 8 wedges. (The point of the wedge can often break off - to avoid this take a biscuit cutter to the center of the circle to create blunt ends) Place the wedges on an ungreased baking sheet.
Mix 1 tbs of cream and remaining zest in a small bowl. Brush mixture on the tops of the wedges and then sprinkle sugar on the top.
While baking, cut two 1/4 inch lemon slices. Take each slice and cut into four triangles, cutting along the lemon membranes were possible. Remove all seeds. Pat dry with a paper towel. Dip in sugar.
Bake until scone tops are light brown, 13 minutes. Cool on wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Add a sugar coated piece of lemon on top of each scone.