Five Spiced Red Pepper Soup2015-02-18
- Cuisine: American
This recipe serves 4
- 2 large red pepper, 1 1/4 lb Spices, pepper, red or cayenne
- 1 tsp olive oil Oil, olive, salad or cooking
- 1 cup onions, chopped Onions, raw
- 1 1/2 tsp 5 spice Spices, pepper, black
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Garlic, raw
- 1/2 cup tomato paste Tomato products, canned, paste, with salt added
- 1/4 cup water Water, municipal
- salt and pepper Peppers, sweet, red, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
- 2 cans chicken broth Soup, chicken broth, canned, prepared with equal volume water, commercial
- 1/4 cup + 1Tbsp sour cream
Blanch peppers in boiling water and peel. Then seed and remove ribs. Chop coarsely.
Heat oil in large pot over a medium heat, add onions,spice and garlic. Saute gently but do not brown. (5 mins)
Add tomato paste,water salt pepper and chicken broth and cook over moderately low heat for 25 mins.
Puree in blender/processor and check seasonings. Can be made ahead to this point.
Return to heat, and slowly warm. Stir in 1/4 cup sour cream and heat through.
Pour into bowls and top with teaspoon of sour cream