Crostini With Escargots or Crostini with Mushrooms and Ham2013-06-20
Two versions allow people to choose between Escargot or simpler mushroom and slivered ham. Starter or supper dish.
- 8 giant escargot, or 1/2 c slivered sauteed ham
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 fresh baguette
- aglio olio (garlic, olive oil and salt), to taste
- 1 1/2 oz blue cheese, or to taste crumbled
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 4 oz 35 % whipping cream
- parsley or rosemary sprigs to garnish
Slice baguette on bias, brush with aglio olio and either grill or bake on low heat. In heavy bottomed pan put oil over high heat and when hot add garlic. When garlic starts to brown, add mushrooms and escargots ( or sauteed ham). Saute until garlic golden brown. Deglaze with red wine. Add cream and half blue cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Reduce until thickened.
Arrange baguettes on plate and pour mixture over. Crumble rest of cheese over, garnish and serve