Cream of Tomato Soup2015-02-22
- Cuisine: American
Glenys’ recipe This recipe serves 8
- 3 Tbs Butter Butter, without salt
- 2 Tbs olive oil Oil, olive, salad or cooking
- 3 medium onions, diced Onions, raw
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme Spices, thyme, ground
- 3/4 tsp dried basil Spices, basil, ground
- salt and pepper Peppers, sweet, red, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
- 10 medium ripe tomato Tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, year round average
- 4 Tbs tomato paste Tomato products, canned, paste, with salt added
- 1/3 cup flour Wheat flour, white, all-purpose, enriched, unbleached
- 6 cups chicken stock Soup, chicken broth, canned, prepared with equal volume water, commercial
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar Sugars, granulated
- 1 1/2 cups cream Cream, fluid, heavy whipping
In a large pot, heat butter and olive oil. Peel and dice onions. Saute them sprinkled with thyme, basil,salt and pepper stirring occasionally.
Cut tomatoes into eighths, take our seeds and chop coarsely. When onions are soft stir in the tomato mix,tomato paste and simmer for 10 mins.
Blend flour with 1/4 c chicken stock and add to mixture and stir well. Add rest of the chicken stock. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 mins. Stirring occasionally so it does not stick.
Puree soup in blender and add sugar and the cream. Reheat.