Cream of Cauliflower Soup2014-12-22
- Cuisine: American
This recipe serves 4
- 1 large cauliflower (1 1/2 lbs), Separate flowerlets
- 2 cups chicken stock Soup, chicken broth, canned, prepared with equal volume water, commercial
- 2 cups water Water, municipal
- 4 Tbs butter Butter, without salt
- 1/3 cup flour Wheat flour, white, all-purpose, enriched, unbleached
- 1 cup milk Milk, reduced fat, fluid, 2% milkfat, with added vitamin A
- 1 tsp salt Salt, table
- 1/2 tsp white pepper Spices, pepper, white
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg, or more Spices, nutmeg, ground
- 1 large egg yolk Egg, yolk, raw, fresh
- 1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice Lemon juice, raw
Reserve 10 small flowerlets, and chop rest coarsely. Combine stock and water in large saucepan and bring to boil over high heat. Drop in whole flowerlets and boil briskly, uncovered for 10 mins til tender but just. Remove flowerlets and set aside in a bowl. Reserve stock.
Melt butter over moderate heat in a 4 qt stainless steel saucepan. Stir in flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 1 -2 min. Do not let flour brown. Pour in Stock and milk,beating constantly with whisk. Cook, stirring until mixture comes to a boil and is smooth and somewhat thick. Reduce heat to low and simmer 2-3 mins. Then add the chopped cauliflower, salt and pepper and nutmeg.
Simmer, half covered, for 15 mins or until cauliflower is soft enough to be easily mashed against the side of the pan. Pour cauliflowerand all the liguid into a sieve set over a large bowl. With a wooden spoon force the cauliflower through the sieve. DO NOT USE A BLENDER as it will be too smooth.
Return the puree to pan. Beat egg yolk with fork to break up, then beat in 1/2 cup of hot puree, 2 tbsp. at a time. Now whisk the mixture back into the saucepan. Addthe reserve flowerlets and cook over moderate heat for 2-3 mins, stirring occassionally. Do not let it boil. Add lemon juice, taste for seasoning, and serve
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe