Broccoli Soup with cheesy wontons2015-02-04
- Cuisine: American
This is from Australian Women’s Weekly. The soup is good but the Wontons are excellent This recipe serves 2
- 300 g broccoli Broccoli, flower clusters, raw
- 15 g butter Butter, without salt
- 1 small onion bagel, chopped Bagels, plain, toasted, enriched, with calcium propionate (includes onion, poppy, sesame)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin Spices, cumin seed
- 2 cups chicken stock Soup, chicken broth, canned, prepared with equal volume water, commercial
- 1 bay leaf Spices, bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 Tbs cream Cream, fluid, heavy whipping
- CHEESY WONTONS
- 1/4 cup Swiss cheese, grated Cheese, swiss
- 2 tsp chopped fresh parsley Parsley, raw
- 1 tsp sesame seeds Seeds, sesame seeds, whole, dried
- 8 square wonton wrappers Wonton wrappers (includes egg roll wrappers)
- egg white Egg, white, raw, fresh
- oil for frying Oil, olive, salad or cooking
Reserve 12 small broccoli florets,chop remaining broccoli. Boil, steam or microwave broccoli until tender;drain
Heat butter in pan, add onion and cumin, cook stirring, until onion is soft. Add chopped broccoli, stock and bay leaf to onion mixture, simmer, covered until the broccoli is tender, discard the bay leaf.
Blend or process mixture until smooth, stir in cream and reserved florets.
CHEESY WONTONS: Combine cheese,parsley and seeds in bowl. Brush edges of wonton wrappers with egg white. Divide cheese mixture evenly between wrappers. Roll up to enclose filling.. Press ends together with fork.
Deep fry in hot oil until lightly browned; drain on absorbant paper